Click to jump to a Guide section:
Create an engaging video in English, French, Spanish, Chinese, German, Russian, or Portuguese according to the requirements:
- Introduce yourself first. Then tell us any shocking, funny, or weird experiences you had while learning Chinese. Please make sure to showcase your Chinese speaking skills in the video as well.
- Note 1: Applicants can also create skits of any of the prompts to tell their story. Only one of the video participants can qualify as an applicant.
- Note 2: The video can be up to 90 seconds long.
2: In the post description, there should be three(3) hashtags(#).
❂ Put your location as #yourcountry, second add #WhySpeakChinese2020, and third add #chinosity.
3: Lastly, tag @Chinosity on Facebook or @Chinositynews on Instagram.
4: Finish all requirements above by Sunday, January 24, 2021 11:50 PM EST
5: Don’t forget to share your posts and get your friends to “like” your video!
- Applicant who post on Instagram with private account must allow @chinositynews to follow back in order to be eligible
- Applicant who post on Facebook must like @chinosity facebook page and make the post public in order to be eligible
- Posts for the contest must include the hashtags #WhySpeakChinese2020 #Chinosity to be eligible
- Posts for the contest must tag @chinositynews on Instagram or @chinosity on Facebook before posting their videos to be eligible.
Grand Prize: Round-Trip Flight to China
5 grand-prize winners will be selected. There will be one grand-prize winner per geographic area of North America, South America, Europe, Africa, and Asia.
The Contest is open to all Mandarin learners* who are:
- Non-native speakers**
- 13 years of age and older
- Legal residents of their respective countries, where not prohibited by law.
* This includes formal (e.g., enrolled in a class) and non-formal (private tutor, independent learning with apps, books, etc.). Employees of Asia Society and their immediate families are not eligible.
** This includes heritage speakers (students who speak Chinese at home/with family but do not consider Mandarin as their native language). Heritage speakers are eligible for the contest.
- Videos created under a video professional’s supervision will be disqualified. Asia Society reserves the right to reject work deemed unsuitable for publication or that does not meet the above criteria. Videos deemed to be a violation of the intellectual property rights of an individual other than the submitter will also be disqualified.
- One submission per learner. Multiple entries from the same individual will result in disqualification of all entries. You can appear in someone else’s video, but if that video wins, the submitter gets the prize.
- One submitter per video. Each video may only have one submitter attributed to it. This is the person who will receive a prize if selected. Anyone else in the video is not eligible for prizes awarded to this entry.
- Videos must be no longer than ninety seconds in total length. Videos exceeding this length will not be considered.
- Videos/entrants will be disqualified if Asia Society, in its sole discretion, suspects the entrant tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process, or tamper with the voting process on any social media platform, including but not limited to buying ‘likes’, or further tamper with the operation of the contest or website
- If you are under 18 and are selected for the grand prize, your travel companion must be over 18 and a legal guardian or authorized in writing by a legal guardian to accompany you.
- Grand-prize winners will not exceed five persons. Each grand-prize winner will receive one round-trip flight between their residence location and any Mainland Chinese city, with a maximum of two connecting flights in each country.
- If a grand-prize winner resides in China, Asia Society will award them with one round-trip flight for family and/or friends to visit him/her in China.
- All online video submissions must be received by 11:50 PM U.S. Eastern Time on Sunday, January 24, 2021, unless otherwise extended by Asia Society. Judges’ picks and winners will be announced on January 29, 2021.
- Asia Society reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest for any reason, including but not limited to a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the contest. In such a case, Asia Society may select the recipients from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Asia Society.
- Entries and other submitted material become the property of Asia Society and will not be acknowledged or returned.
- Asia Society reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the contest or website or violates the Terms.
- By participating, you agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Terms and you represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein.
- In addition, you agree to accept the oversight and decisions of Asia Society, as final and binding as it relates to the content and the awarding of prizes.
- Winner selection and notification: Winners of the competition will be selected under the supervision of Asia Society. Winners will be notified via the platform used to enter the contest within five (5) days following the winner selection and announcement. Asia Society shall have no liability for a winner’s failure to receive notices due to winners’ spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for winners’ provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the selected winner(s) cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 15 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and releases as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner(s) selected. Winners will have a 24-month time period to use the prize.
- Prizes are considered taxable income regardless of whether the prize is in the form of cash, trips or merchandise. If a prize is valued over $600, Asia Society must report the value to the winner and the Internal Revenue Service on a Form 1099-MISC. If the prize is valued under $600, the winner is responsible for reporting to the Internal Revenue Service and paying the appropriate tax.