#WhySpeakChinese Contest Rules
1: Make a 1-minute video, in English, French, Spanish, Chinese or Korean, that includes the following components:
- Introduce yourself
- Talk about a memorable moment learning or speaking Chinese. It can be funny, happy, or even cringe-worthy. The more creative the video, the better.
- Show off your Chinese speaking skills in the video- a word or two is fine.
2: Follow us on social media & post your video on Instagram, Twitter, or the Chinosity Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/chinosity) with the #WhySpeakChinese #Chinosity
- Instagram accounts must be public order to be eligible and must include the hashtag #WhySpeakChinese #Chinosity and tag @chinositynews.
- Twitter accounts must be public in order to be eligible and must include the hashtag #WhySpeakChinese #Chinosity and tag @chinosity.
- Facebook accounts must be public order to be eligible and the video must be posted on the Chinosity Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/chinosity.
3: Fill out and submit the contest form and include the link from your video.
4: Get as many of your friends and family as you can to “like” your video!
How the winners will be selected?
- All entries must be posted via social media with the aforementioned hashtags and have a submitted contest form by June 8, 2019 11:50 PM ET
- Two finalist videos will be chosen (one ‘top liked’ videos and one ‘staff pick’) from each geographic location (North America, South America, Europe, Africa, and Asia)
- A final vote via the Chinosity website on June 15th will determine the grand prize winners
Videos will be voted on via the Chinosity website at www.chinosity.com on June 15, 2019.
Each geographic area will have a 1-hour live voting period. The video that receives the most votes during the Live voting will be selected as the grand prize winner.
Grand Prize Winners: 5 grand-prize winners will be selected. There will be one grand-prize winner per geographic area (North America, South America, Europe, Africa, and Asia).
Grand-prize winners will receive two round-trip flights to China. If a grand-prize winner resides in China, Asia Society will award he/she two round-trip flights for family and/or friends to visit him/her in China.
You can also win prizes along the way.
- Every Wednesday, we will select lucky giveaway winners to receive #WhySpeakChinese t-shirts and prizes from LaowaiMe
- Every Saturday, we will select a ‘Staff Pick of the Week’ and he/she will receive to receive #WhySpeakChinese t-shirts and prizes from LaowaiMe
The Contest is open to all Mandarin learners* who are:
– Non-native speakers**
– 13 years of age and older
– Legal residents of their respective countries, where not prohibited by law.
* This includes formal (e.g., enrolled in a class) and non-formal (private tutor, independent learning with apps, books, etc.). Employees of Asia Society and their immediate families are not eligible.
** This includes heritage speakers (students who speak Chinese at home/with family but do not consider Mandarin as their native language). Heritage speakers are eligible for the contest.
Videos created under a video professional’s supervision will be disqualified. Asia Society reserves the right to reject work deemed unsuitable for publication or that does not meet the above criteria. Videos deemed to be a violation of the intellectual property rights of an individual other than the submitter will also be disqualified.
One submission per learner
Multiple entries from the same individual will result in disqualification of all entries. You can appear in someone else’s video, but if that video wins, the submitter gets the prize.
One submitter per video
Each video may only have one submitter attributed to it. This is the person who will receive a prize if selected. Anyone else in the video is not eligible for prizes awarded to this entry.
Videos must be no longer than one minute in total length. Videos exceeding this length will not be considered.
Videos/entrants will be disqualified if Asia Society, in its sole discretion, suspects the entrant tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process, or tamper with the voting process on any social media platform, including but not limited to buying ‘likes’, or further tamper with the operation of the contest or website
If you are under 18 and are selected for the grand prize, your travel companion must be over 18 and a legal guardian or authorized in writing by a legal guardian to accompany you.
Grand-prize winners will not exceed five persons. Each grand-prize winner will receive two round-trip flights between their residence location and any Mainland Chinese city, with a maximum of two connecting flights in each country.
If a grand-prize winner resides in China, Asia Society will award he/she two round-trip flights for family and/or friends to visit him/her in China.
All online video submissions must be received by 11:50 PM U.S. Eastern Time on Saturday, June 8, 2019, unless otherwise extended by Asia Society. Live voting will occur on June 15, 2019.
Asia Society and Chinosity reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest for any reason, including but not limited to a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the contest. In such case, Asia Society and Chinosity may select the recipients from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Asia Society.
Entries and other submitted material become the property of Asia Society and will not be acknowledged or returned.
Asia Society and Chinosity reserve the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the contest or website or violates the Terms.
By participating, you agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Terms and you represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein.
In addition, you agree to accept the oversight and decisions of Asia Society and Chinosity, as final and binding as it relates to the content and the awarding of prizes.
Winner selection and notification: Winners of the competition will be selected under the supervision of Asia Society. Winners will be notified via the platform they entered the contest within five (5) days following the winner selection and announcement. Asia Society shall have no liability for a winner’s failure to receive notices due to winners’ spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for winners’ provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the selected winner(s) cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 15 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and releases as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner(s) selected.
Prizes are considered taxable income regardless of whether the prize is in the form of cash, trips or merchandise. If a prize is valued over $600, Asia Society must report the value to the winner and the Internal Revenue Service on a Form 1099-MISC. If the prize is valued under $600, the winner is responsible for reporting to the Internal Revenue Service and paying the appropriate tax.